Thursday, February 23, 2012

A TIME TO LIVE AND A TIME TO DIE

I'm sure some of you will say not me, but I think most people when they get as old as I am think about death.  Naturally, we all know we are going to die some day and if we are young we think that is in a far off time.  But I think it is only natural to think about the time you have left when you get old.

I am ready to die, just not in a big hurry.  There are so many things I want to do and I think it at this time we become more aware of each day.  When you tell a young person to live each day as if it were their last, they probably just think you are an old foggy.  But since you don';t know when that day is coming, I say do the things you want to do whi9le you still can.

Probably the one thing that concerns us most about death is how we will die.  I think we would all like to die like my friend Linda did.  She came home from Bible Study, said she was going to take a nap and she never woke up.  However God plans to bring us home, we are all going some day, so live while you can.

I guess the reason I am thinking about death is that in the last month there have been three large articles in the newspaper about Cemetery's.  Today's article was about enlarging a cemetery.  The other day it discussed two cemetery's that were side by side.  I forget what the other one was about, but it not only got me thinking about death, but also about cemetery's.

Two things that are good to do.   1).  You can do a huge genealogy study there.  Make a rubbing off the headstone, it is a positive proof of a relative. 2.) Speaking of rubbings, this can be great fun.  In the days when most graves had headstones instead of markers buried in the ground, many beautiful pieces of art exist.  Many headstones had raised designs that one could do a rubbing from and frame.  Also, many interesting comments are on some of these old relics.

It could be a great project for an afternoon with your kids.  The Internet is loaded with directions on how to do rubbings, materials needed, and the best way to preserve them.

OK, I have had my little death and cemetery splurge for the day, guess I had better get busy and live today while I have it.l

Until next time,
Be kind to One Another

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment