Saturday, April 28, 2012

                                                             Poetry    

 Poetry Month is almost over and I have only posted two of my poems at the beginning of the month.  Where did April go?  Anyway, I ran across a sweet little poem the other day and I thought you might enjoy it.                                               

                  Tucking-in Song

Down the narrow hall she came,
             a symphony
            of jingle bells
              as tiny
                shiny
       silver charms
             on her arm
and haunting notes
       of tinkling tin
      played music on
  her perfumed skin....

When mama came to tuck me in.
       Rebecca Kei Dotlich

                                                                    BOOKS

In the last couple of months I have read three very different books.  It is getting harder and harder to read as my magnifying glass is not strong enough.  Guess I am going to have to find a stronger one.

The first book, Darcie loaned me as we are both fans of Mave Benchy.  I think this is her latest one. Minding Frankie by Mave Benchy.  It is a story of a young man who is left with a baby he didn't even know was his.  We see how his friends and neighbors help him raise Frankie.  I really liked it, of course I always love Mave's books.

The second read is Miriam's Kitchen by Elizabeth Ehrlich.  I wasn't sure I was going to like this one at first.  Actually, I really enjoyed it, because I learned so much about Jewish traditions and reasons for some of their practices.  This is a true story and I liked to read just a chapter or two a night an think on what I had read for a while.  Elizabeth, who wasn't a practicing Jew, over time learned to accept more and more of her faith. She learned a lot from Mariam in her kitchen.  Ehrlich also included some recipes that I want to try.

The book I am just finishing today is Sarah by Marek Halter.  I love this type of story.  Since the Bible doesn't tell us the early years of Sarah and Abraham, Halter creates an interesting life for the young Sari and Abram.  It is a much faster read than Ehrlic's book.  I am really enjoying it.  It is the first book of a trilogy.  The other's are Zippora  and the third book is Lilah.s

Well, guess that's all for today,
Be Kind to One Another

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment