Monday, April 9, 2012

THE PAST WEEK

First time I have been sick in a long time.  Also the first time I have missed church on Easter for as long as I can remember. .  I don't know what is wrong with me, I think I might be trying to come down with the flu, but I am fighting it like mad.  My daughter-in-law, bless her heart, sent me a big bowl of chicken soup on Saturday and for Easter, brought me a roast beef dinner.  I so appreciate her thoughtfulness.

Today is a rather l"looking back time" for me.  Sixty four years ago in a little Lutheran Church in Ogden Utah, Dick and I were married.  It was the beginning of the most fantastic life.  In the thirty one years he was alive I learned what true love really meant.  He was the most considerate person I have ever known.  He was an encourager,big time. .  He was fun, funny, romantic and the closest thing to a perfect person I know.  We didn't always agree on things, but we had enough sense to sort things out and we never went to bed without sayi8n I love you.  I thank God for putting him in my life. 

It was a strange story.  A fellow from my church said his cousin, who was in the Navy, was coming to town and he wanted me to have a date with him.  My reply was, "I wouldn't be caught dead with a sailor." (In those days, sailors had an awful reputation, maybe they still do, I don"t know.)  Well, he finally talked me into it and we spent a boring evening visiting his aunt & uncle.  Women in the kitchen and men in the living room.  He walked me home after we left and I tripped and fell in one of our very deep gutters,. (He always told people he pulled me out of the gutter.)_Ha, ha.

Since my knee was bleeding, we stopped at a Church and sat on the steps to talk.  I hated men, (I had an abusive first marriage) and he hated women, (his wife lived with every guy on the base while he was over seas.  By the time we finished talking we found that we agreed on so many things and also wanted the same things out of marriage.  We decided we were going to get married and made a date to meet for lunch the next day to make our plans.

When I met him he asked if I still wanted to get married.  I said yes, and he said me too, but you know, I cant remember your name.  I laughed, because I couldn't remember his name either .  (you are probably thinking just like my mother die, Out of the Frying Pan & into the fire. He wanted me to come to Albany.Oregon to meet his parents.  I said no, I would stay her and get ready to move.  He was stationed in Memphis, Tennessee. 

He came back two weeks later, we got married and left the next morning for Memphis, and so began the greatest story ever told.  I had a five year old son and Dick was the most wonderful father a child could have.  I'm sure my parents didn't think it would work out and for a time they were rather cold to him.  Over time, they adored him and appreciated the kind of man he was.

Hope I didn't bore you, but since it would have been our anniversary today, I have just had a lot of happy memories.

By the way, I would never recommend any young couple did what we did.  We were just lucky.  Quite often this kind of marriage would be a flop.

Until nest time
Be kind to one another

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment