Wednesday, March 28, 2012

THE GOLDEN HAT

On Monday's show Live with Kelly , Kelly Ripa interviewed Kate Winslet.  Kate has a new book out called The Golden Hat.  I really don't need any more books right now, but this is one I have to get.  It shounds so wonderful that I will let you know what I think of it afgter I read it.

It is based on a true story of a little autistic boy who also can't talk.  I'm not sure how old the boy was when the Dr. told the parents  the child only had the mentality of a two year old and should be put in an institution.  The parents worked on many projects to try to help him and finally found a way he could communicate on a computer.  (I am probably getting this messed up[, but I am giving the best I know until I read it.)  Asking the child, "If you could say one thing, what would you say?" the boy replied, "I am real."

Winslet was cleaning out her closet and came across an old hat and she had the idea to call it a magic hat.  In the hat you could could answer the question, what would you say if you could say one thing?  I'm assuming that her book is some of the answers she received.

At the same time, the little autistic boy wrote a poem called The Golden Hat.  I am not sure how Winslet combined the two hat ideas, but I can't wait to read it.

If you could only say one thing, what would you say?  I have thought of a number of things I might say and it is difficult to give an answer.  It would probably be, "Thank you God for life, the wonders you have created and the fact that I was placed on this earth to enjoy it and try to make it a better place."

Imagine that boy who wanted people to know he was real, not retarded, just unable to talk. 

Enough for tonight,

Until next time,
Be knd to one another.

Joyce






No comments:

Post a Comment